Monday, August 22, 2011

[Archive] LITERAL ADDICTION's Review of The Morrigna

Rachel Rawlings is an author of Urban Fantasy novels. Her first book, The Morrigna, was published in 2010. She is currently working on her second book in The Maurin Kincaide Series, Witch Hunt. She currently lives in Maryland with her husband, three children and two fish.

The Morrigna, Maurin Kincaide, Book #1
Author:  Rachel Rawlings
SynopsisI'm Maurin Kincaide, a psychometric, and until a few days ago I was working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. I cracked more cold cases and got more confessions than anyone else in the department. Of course that was before I traded in my badge for an ancient Celtic sword. Now, I'm the Special Liaison for the Council, the governing body of the Others, and I take my orders from witches, werewolves and vampires.

I didn't just make a career change though. I'm not the same person I was before. I'm stronger, I can heal from wounds that would kill a normal person. I'm developing latent psychic skills at a breakneck speed. Oh yeah, and it would seem that a Pagan goddess has taken permanent residence in my body and mind. Crazy thing is, I'm starting to feel normal, like this is who I'm supposed to be.

Of course, there are those who don't agree. Morrigan and her sisters for example. Actually, I'm pretty sure they'd like nothing more than to see me dead. And if I can't stop them and the demons they've raised, they just might get their wish
.

Our Review [By LITERAL ADDICTION’s Bewitching Bella-Charity Costa]: 
Morrigna is the 1st book in the Maurin Kincade series by Rachel Rawlings. It is a paranormal genre novel, which includes characters from all paranormal species vamps, weres, gods and witches all make up a cast of characters that leave us a little confused at the end of the book.
Morrigna starts off with our main character Maurin in her everyday life as a psychometric working for Salem's Preternatural Task Force as an interrogator. This book is set in present day but humans are aware of the existence of the supernatural. Maurine works with this task force to keep the humans safe from the paranormal. This day seems ordinary to Maurin till she interrogates someone that can see her mind instead of her just peeking into theirs for answers. This starts her whirlwind weekend in motion.
Without giving the whole story away Maurin discovers there's more to her than she ever realized and that she has been chosen to save the world. Over the course of a few days she realizes her world will never be the same.
I was left a little empty at the end of this book so many unanswered questions and a feeling of being lost by the time I was done. I would have loved to learn more about the characters so I could have been attached to them. I felt by the end of the book they were still all strangers to me.
I have read many books in this genre so I could see whee the author wanted to take us with the story but I couldn't help but think wow that came out of no where now I'm feeling like I have no clue what's going on.
I'm going to definitely read the second book in this series which comes out by the end of this year, before I write off the books, I'm hopping that in book 2 there will be a lot more clarification and we get the chance to go deeper with the characters and get all of our questions answered.
Overall, LITERAL ADDICTION Paranormal Book Club gives The Morrigna 3 Skulls.

The Morrigna: 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment