Friday, August 30, 2013

[Archive] LITERAL ADDICTION's Review of Rush

About Joan Swan, from Joan Swan: 

I was never a star English student or a Literature buff, but I’ve always had a creative soul and an active imagination. Writing was a natural culmination of those two talents.


I write what I like to read: romantic suspense. I write for entertainment and escape–the same reasons I love to read. I prefer real-life language, so you’ll find profanity in my work when it fits the character. I prefer open-door sex, so my love scenes are typically hot and steamy. And because my stories involve suspense, you’ll often find violence, mystery and an inside look at the intricate world of forensics. Occasionally, I like to dabble in the lighter side of paranormal as well.

I am agented by the fabulous Paige Wheeler, founding partner of Folio Literary Management in New York. My debut novel, FEVER, releases from Kensington Brava in April 2012. Book 2 in the series, BLAZE, releases fall 2012. My editor at Kensington is the wonderful Alicia Condon, Editorial Director for Brava.

A triple RWA Golden Heart finalist as well as a double Daphne Du Maurier finalist, I am a lover of craft and closet-hoarder of writing craft how-to books.

In my day job, I work as a sonographer at UCSF Medical Center, a location with an intensity that makes me slightly insane…which works well with the writer in me. Not to mention all the character material I have access to–and I’m not talking about the patients (well…mostly).

I have been married twenty years to my own personal hero, a veteran firefighter, we have two beautiful daughters and are blessed to live in the heart of wine country on the gorgeous Central Coast of California.


Keep up with Joan online at her Website, on Facebook, on Twitter, and on GoodReads.



Rush, PHOENIX RISING Book #3
by Joan Swan

Buy from Amazon | B&N 

Synopsis:
Jessica Fury, Washington lobbyist, has money, connections, and her own firm. But five years ago she had something better: happiness. Her firefighter husband, Quaid, was handsome, courageous, and crazy about her. Then one day he walked into a chemical inferno—and never walked out. Jessica has been through hell to get back on her feet. And then a rumor surfaces that could bring a miracle or shatter her world – again.

Q has been a prisoner forever. He’s honed his mind and body into weapons. He’s developed abilities no one else understands. But he’s still at the mercy of a cabal of ruthless men, who blank his memory, test him like a lab rat, and tell him lies. Although his past has been erased and his future looks grim, instinct tells him he has a woman to live for. What his mind can’t remember, his body can’t forget…

The heat is on.


Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Associate Reviewer - Marta C:

This is apparently the third book in the Phoenix Rising series although it is the first book that I have read by Ms. Swan. I feel that this is not a standalone book and readers would certainly benefit greatly if they read the two previous books (Fever and Blaze).

This started out as a very detailed story about two firefighters(Jessica and Quaid), who are clearly very much in love. This is a very intense beginning to a story that had me believing the author intended to give an insight into the life of modern firefighters. I could not have been more mistaken, as the plot very quickly twisted and threw this reader into a confusing world full of tragedy, intrigue, and unexpected paranormal events.

Whilst I hesitate to give spoilers, it's fair to say that the two lead characters are tortured individuals who have been through fire, quite literally! An explosion of toxic and highly top secret canisters finds both them and their firefighting unit changed irreparably! Whilst they all exhibit some form of psychic abilities, its Quaid who suffers the most. Believed to be dead, he has been experimented on beyond belief, and is now far more than just the fun loving man that Jessica remembers. His lack of memories may seem problematic but his new lack of humanity could destroy them all.

I am stunned by this book! It pulled me in with its heartbreaking beginning but also managed to entertain with witty dialogue and a very unique storyline. These guys may not be superheros but they definitely gave this reader a fantastic ride. Totally unlike anything I have read and quite simply a fabulous read.

I would have to say a very well deserved 5. This woman can write!


Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment